Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Etched in Memory {Morocco Trip}

by Denise Hoeflich, Am Shalom member and Morocco trip participant

It is a difficult task to isolate one moment from this remarkable trip to Morocco. I came on the trip to open my self and sprit to a new world and experience. I came to communicate with new surroundings and people and venture away from a well trodden path.

Far from family, far from everything and despite the sometimes strenuous conditions, I found myself happy at all times as I contemplated the ancient walls that lacerated the modern Muslim cities. As I think back about all of the places and people we saw it feels like a whirlwind. However, the more I think about the past 8 days, the more I become aware how certain moments somehow do become etched in memory.

My mind goes to the tiny synagogue in Merket where time seems to have stopped. The Jewish population, once a thriving community, has almost completely vanished leaving a ghost like feeling in this place of worship. The old Jewish caretaker seems almost put out to open the place up. Despite this, we bring out the broken and tattered Torah and read it anyway. I stand and gaze as the caretaker begins to smile hearing Torah chanted in this broken place. His smile lights up the otherwise dark, damp and forgotten home. I capture in a glance this almost unreal vision and store it in my heart, along with a few raindrops and blessings whispered sweetly into this caretaker's ear.

It is a moment I will never forget.


Am Shalom trip participants enjoyed a wonderful time in Morocco! 
See more pictures here and follow all of our trips and activities at Facebook.com/AmShalomGlencoe

No comments:

Post a Comment